The other day my friend Katy shared a moodboard with the theme “If I was 12 & had your black AMEX…” I thought it was such an adorable concept, and it brought back such fun memories of my own youthful dream designs. In fact, I remembered that as 12 or 13 year old, I once painstakingly sketched out the coolest dream preteen room design ever… And despite all the years that have passed and all the various moves and packing and upacking, I managed to locate that sketch.
Are you ready for this?
I just can’t contain my excitement.
Prepare for extreme awesome from the mind of adolescent Brynne.
If you are viewing this on a mobile device, you might seriously want to switch to desktop or zoom in so you don’t miss anything 😉
Let’s start with the floor plan. The room you see is a U-shaped loft/balcony with railings (draped with curtains on the bed-side of the loft for privacy) open to the downstairs. What is downstairs, you ask? Nothing but an awesome wood-floored roller skating rink. Please note that the dolphin tank is two-stories tall, so it can be viewed as an aquarium from the downstairs skating rink, and entered as a swimming pool from the upstairs loft – via diving board, or awesome yellow swirly slide.
Inside the dolphin tank you have a pet dolphin, a pet starfish, and a pet sea turtle. This dream preteen version of Brynne was quite the exotic pet lover, apparently, because she also had a pet parrot and a pet monkey.
Next, notice the stylish color scheme: lime green, radiant orchid, and some burgundy for good measure. Look how ahead of the times I was! I’m a radiant orchid hipster, yo! I was into radiant orchid before it was cool! (Don’t ask me what I was thinking with the burgundy, though.) I do still think purple and lime green would be a cute combo in a preteen’s bedroom. And that curvy upholstered headboard and couch are pretty sweet – let’s pretend they are velvet for maximum good taste.
Of course teen Brynne had to have Belle-from-Beauty-and-the-Beast style bookshelves and a huge rolltop desk for creative story writing. Add in a library ladder and some leather club chairs, and I would still totally take that office corner!
I was so enjoying this little blast from the past that I decided to whip up a mood board based on my dream preteen room design!
1. A fun-shaped purple headboard. This one is available on Wayfair, or DIY your own funky shape!
2. Mariam Curtains in dark lilac from Ikea.
3. Dottie duvet cover in mint from Pottery Barn Teen.
4. Lime Rickey Ovo Table Lamp from Lamps Plus. Or look for a similar shape at the thrift store and paint it yourself!
5. Cute Monkey Ragdoll Sewing Pattern from DIY Fluffies on Etsy. Maybe some preteens are too old for stuffed animals, but I’ve always had a soft spot for them! This one is soooo adorable!
6. Be Wild and Free Dolphin Print from Be Wild and Free on Etsy. Are you noticing a theme? We’ve got the monkey, we’ve got the dolphin…
7. Parrot with Flowers Illustration Art from Inkblok on Etsy. And now we have the lovely parrot!
8. Rainbow Zig Zag Rug from Urban Outfitters. Such fun colors!
9. Hemnes Bookcases from Ikea. Fill with colorful books!
P.S. The soft orchid color in the background is Zephyr by Behr. I think it would make a lovely wall color.
P.P.S. No affiliate or otherwise influenced links here! Just picked some fun things that caught my eye!
So what do you think? Maybe preteen Brynne was on to something after all! All I can say is, I would still kill to have an aquarium with a pet dolphin in my home… I mean – seriously, how awesome would that be?